AllBestEssays.com - All Best Essays, Term Papers and Book Report
Search

How to Write a Pass Grade

Essay by   •  May 23, 2018  •  Case Study  •  2,832 Words (12 Pages)  •  897 Views

Essay Preview: How to Write a Pass Grade

Report this essay
Page 1 of 12

How to Write a Pass Grade

CASE STUDY REPORT

Getting started

This article aims to provide practical information for ICAN professional (final) level candidates who are to write the Paper C5: Case Study as part of their final examination before becoming an ICAN chartered accountant (ACA).It is also relevant to other students not yet writing Case Study but who wants to get a feel of what is required to pass this paper with ease.

The primary purpose of the Case Study examination is to ensure that candidates can provide advice in the form of a written report. The Case Study examination is a competence based assessment (CBA) examination designed to assess a candidates' comprehension of complex business issues and the skill to analyse and evaluate financial and non-financial data, exercise professional and ethical judgement, and develop conclusions and recommendations.

Reading the rest of this guide would improve your chances of passing the Case Study examination.

Success at the Case Study

Extensive reading of strategic and financial models, is insufficient for success in the Case Study. Candidates must display their competence to pass the Case Study examination. Attending a case study class with a good tutor should reveal some tricks in the classroom.

Success at the Case Study requires an integration of the skills, knowledge and experience (SKE) acquired from writing previous ICAN examinations. The SKE are:

1. Assimilating and using information provided

2. Using technical knowledge and professional tools

3. Using analytical tools and skills

4. Identifying issues and options for the case scenario

5. Displaying scepticism and ethics

6. Applying evaluative skills and judgement

7. Drawing conclusions from analysis and evaluation

8. Making practical commercial recommendations

9. Presenting relevant appendices

10. Producing a well “structured and styled” report

ABC Tip:

The Case Study will not require the detailed computations needed to pass papers like performance management (PM) or strategic financial management (SFM). Students only need to demonstrate that they can undertake some form of financial and business analysis.

Assessment of the Case Study

All of the marks on the Case Study are awarded using skills assessment boxes (SAB), allocated as follows:

1. Assimilating and using information 10%

2. Using knowledge and professional tools 10%

3. Using analytical tools and skills 10%

4. Identifying issues and options 10%

5. Displaying scepticism and ethics 10%

6. Applying evaluative skills and judgement 10%

7. Drawing conclusions and reservations 10%

8. Making recommendations 10%

9. Presenting relevant appendices 10%

10. Producing a “structured and styled” report 10%

100%

ABC Tip:

Of the total marks available, 20% is for 1 & 10 above (the “easiest” marks), 30% is for 3, 4 & 6 (the “toughest” marks) and another 30% for 5, 7 & 8 (the “easier” marks if 3, 4 & 6 are done well)

Note that a maximum of

> 10% is for “copying” facts from the case scenario (i.e. 1 above).

> 10% is for regurgitating “theory” (i.e. 2 above)

> 10% is for performing “calculations”(i.e. 9 above)

Exam Requirements (R) of the Case Study

There will be two detailed requirements (R1 and R2) for which marks are awarded. R1 and R2 get 45% each (i.e. a total of 90%) while the overall report gets the remaining 10%

R1 – skills boxes 1 to 9 (i.e. 9 SAB) 45%

R2 – skills boxes 1 to 9 (i.e. 9 SAB) 45%

Overall report – “structure &style” (i.e. 2 SAB) 10%

Total (20 SAB) 100%

ABC Tip:

From the above;

> Not attempting either R1 or R2

> Not balancing the report across R1 and R2

> Not analysing and evaluating R1 and R2

> Not including ethical considerations, conclusions and recommendations for R1 and R2

Will significantly affect your chances of success.

Time Allocation for the Case Study

The examiner has suggested the below time allocation:

Reading and planning 1 hour

Performing calculations and financial analysis 1 hour

Drafting report 2 hours

ABC Tip:

Unsuccessful candidates are likely to produce a report with no analysis or judgement, ethical considerations, conclusions and recommendations because of poor planning or unnecessary financial calculations.

Features of a Good Case Study Report

Top 10 critical success factors:

* A succinct introduction that covers R1 and R2

* Use of all exhibits from the Case Study exam question paper

...

...

Download as:   txt (18.8 Kb)   pdf (69.9 Kb)   docx (23 Kb)  
Continue for 11 more pages »
Only available on AllBestEssays.com